Money & Energy Saving Tips for Small Business

by Coldwell Banker Evergreen Olympic Realty, Inc. on February 16, 2012

In the past we have commented about a number of energy saving programs available in the marketplace. One of those great programs is the Small Business Lighting Program offered through a partnership of Puget Sound Energy and Thurston Energy (a program of the Thurston County Economic Development Council). This lighting program helps small businesses convert to more efficient lighting fixtures. This process results in significant energy cost savings and better light.

We have been so impressed with results we’ve seen around town that we are currently undertaking the project at our building. For us, the program started with a walk-through of our building by representatives from PSE and Thurston Energy. Their analysis estimated that we could save one-third of lighting costs by replacing our existing fixtures.

Of course, this is one of those programs where you have to spend to save. That is not always a winning financial proposition. While the cost to replace the fixtures is not a small amount, this program is great for small business because PSE may pick up a sizeable share of that upfront cost. In our case, PSE is covering about 60% of the expense. The remaining 40% will come from our pocket and be covered within 18 months through energy cost savings. After that, we will enjoy true savings to the bottom line. And the kicker is that the new energy efficient fixtures will provide better quality light.

If you are interested in this program for your own business (or as a retention program for your building tenants who pay for utility services), visit Thurston Energy at or the Savings & Energy Center at

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: